
I have come to the decision that there isn't always the necessity to use new technology for all our day-to-day functions. I am talking about the PDA (Personal Digital Assistant - if you want to be precise). This was the preferred medium before the “crackberry” was introduced (although not as popular, PDA's are still used widely - my sis and bro-in-law are both still obsessed with theirs).
I want to re-acquaint you with "the hand" (as modelled by myself in the picture above). It outshines its technological counterparts for the following reasons:
- you can't ever leave it at home as it is permanently attached to your person.
- you won't need to set yourself an alarm on an agenda item for it will be within your sightline at all times.
- you can unleash your creative side and personalise the layout.
- it will never run out of battery power.
- there will be no software glitches.
- it is environmentally friendly as it is reusable and there is no waste
However, there are some downsides:
- you will need to remember to have a pen handy at all times to really take advantage of its anytime anywhere potential.
- it is not impervious to adverse weather conditions unless you use a permanent marker (which obviously affects its memory storage long-term for it takes longer to wash/wear off).
- it has privacy implications as it can be viewed externally (unless you develop your own code).
- you are limited in how much information you can store at any one time as, unless you have had the advantage of mutation, you are limited to only possessing 2 hands.
I think, despite its many drawbacks, 'the hand' is a far better personal organiser than any new electronic device.
All hail the new era of "the hand".

1 comment:
I concur with the hand idea. However, I always find that two seconds after writing my "brilliant idea" or "important number" on it, I need the bog, and end up washing it off in the sink afterwards. Duh.
By the way my scrabble story - it's not a real story, just another idea for your collection (which you must write!!). Basically whilst pub quizzing last week, Me, Didcot, Carlos and TheCroydonMassive partook in a game of scrabble. We mooted the idea of playing a game where whatever word you put down, the other player was compelled to act it out... and then we wondered what would happen if you had a magic scrabble board where every word you wrote actually happened - basically, it's really silly, but I thought it could make a good tale - "Extreme Scrabble" if you will!
Post a Comment